Monday, July 13, 2009

They are still with me :)

I opened the door which lead to the backyard of my house. Wandering around, I reached the place, now known as the 'Dogs-Room.' I peeped inside and I heard the thought which came in unison from both my heart and head... 'I wished they were still here'
.......................................**********..........................................
As a kid of 5 yrs, I remember the doorbell ring in my Chennai house. I expected my parents at the door. It was them but what I saw in their hands totally stunned me. Each of them had a cute little puppy in their hands. I did not know what I felt...happy, surprised, strange...I just din't know. All I knew was that when my sister came near the door and had a look at them she "SCREAMEDDDDDDDDD". My parents let those cute puppy siblings down and my sis began running all around the house (she was dead scared of dogs and continues to be one still). I loved dogs, but looking at the way my sister reacted, I did the same. I also ran around the house and these pups followed. Boy!!! I can never stop laughing remembering the way we ran around the place and ended up "hanging" to a doorless-wall-cupboard. We were asked to get down and not be afraid, especially me, as I was supposed to be the one who was never afraid of dogs. I went and touched them and they did nothing. That was it. I instantly loved them. It was then I saw how cute and adorable they were. I guess they were just a few weeks old.
We brought them to Hyderabad, where I lived and continue to live for most of my life. Everyone here loved these cute dogs (Labradors) and my Grandmother named them Ruby (female) and Tony (male). They had the whole backyard for themselevs as well as a room (the Dogs-Room)I loved them and they were very important in my life. I used to play with them, talk to them, tell them stories, dust their bed (so called), at times feed them with my hands when made a fuss to eat and much more...they were members of my family. If I was never found inside the house and I did not seem to have any plans to go out, people knew where I could be found..near the doggies. They in-turn loved me and always listened to me but they bent this only when it came to running on the road. They were very young and hence we never allowed them to go on the roads alone, but they had their moments of glory when someone would have left the backyard-door open and they would happily sneak out. Then myself and someone else (usually my uncle) would have to catch them and get them back. Naughty little puppies :). Inspite of this, I would still say that they were pretty good dogs and were extremely friendly but I do not know as to why they seemed to have an aversion towards a cousin of mine. They just needed to have a glimpse of her and the barking would begin. They would bark in a manner which would have let anyone to think that they had their tails on fire, making this poor girl run for cover.
Inspite of all this there was something that I had noticed. They loved each other and their actions spoke about it. When they used to be called for breakfast and if only one turned up. That one would go back get the other and only then would they both eat. If one was not well, the other would not be in the best spirits. And the worst test of this love came...when one was no more the other seemed equally dead.
I can never forget those days. As a 9yr old (I guess), I got to see life's wicked truth..losing a couple of my loved ones. I do not exactly remember the date but I guess it was 11th November 1996. I returned from school and as usual had a wash and went to have a snack. As I was planning to go and meet the dogs, my grandmother told me "Tony has expired. It happened this afternoon. Grandpa and I have had him laid to rest. Even the maid was there when it happened" I knew my dog was not feeling well since a few days but the doctor dint seem to think he was going to die. I found it hard to believe and felt that a cruel joke was being played on me. I immediately rushed to the backyard and went searching for the dogs. I found Ruby but not Tony. I dint want my Granny's words to be true. I went near the maid and asked her where the "other" dog was. She said "it must be sitting somewhere in the backyard itself." I heaved a sigh of relief when she said that it must be somewhere around but even on searching everywhere, there was no sight. It was then i realised she meant Ruby by the "other" dog. It was a terrible loss for me but an even worse one for Ruby. She lost her little brother and sat in the place where she thought her brother was. I used to find it hard to get her out of that place as now even food dint tempt her. I was forced to move her out as she did not deserve to suffer. She seemed quite fine but exactly eleven days later she left me too and in an even terrible way. Her last breath was taken right in front of my eyes. I lost her too. She was laid to rest the next day. I lost them both. Away from the eyes of everyone, I cried...I cried for them still hoping for a miracle.
They left me and have gone, but they taught me many things before leaving. The love they shared between themselves made me wonder about the emotions they had which even we humans, with so much sense, on many an occasion seem to lack.
........................................**********........................................
Their room is still there and I still love them. They were the best they could have been to me and though I know that they will never come back, forever they will remain in my heart...Always teaching me to smile and be happy the way they were....

I miss you'll...but I know that you'll are always there with me :)

No comments: